sheet metal
shopRPmachine.com
Home | Library | Buyers' Guide | Sheet Metal Industry Ads | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Machinery Talk

Sheet Metal Machinery Talk
Discussion on Metal Fabrication Machinery including Q&A on maintenance and repairs. Plasma, Lock Formers, Brakes, ect.
Visit Our Sponsors!
Looking for New Machinery? (Click Here)

Share This Forum!  

Old 02-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Professional Member

Default Will brass discolor?

I had a client come in this week needing a decorative piece cut out of brass on my plasma. I've cut copper, stainless, black iron, galv, alum, but never brass. Does brass discolor near the cut like copper and stainless do? I don't have procedures for cutting brass but I've been told I need to set cutting speeds and amperage similar to aluminum. Also,... and this is the clincher,... this guy is needing an antiqued finish brass. You know... like door knobs and such with that dark, brushed finish. You don't buy flat sheets that way do you? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Professional Member

[quote="LeadHead"]I had a client come in this week needing a decorative piece cut out of brass on my plasma. II would say that the brass would discolor after being cut with a plasma. I have cut copper this way and I would bet that it would turn out to look just the same.

I am sure that some of the members here could give some advice as to how to clean this up or how to create that antiqued finish you are looking for. Hope this helps. I am not sure about how brass in sheets is sold but I would imagine you could find a coil of it if you looked hard enough.

Great question and welcome to the shop.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:34 AM
Professional Member

Brass does discolour slightly along the cut .couple of recipes for coulering 1 ..Antique cover the surface with a solution of antimony cloride or caustic antimony and let to dry 2 .. brown Feric nitrate 2oz ,sodium thiosulphate 2oz ,1 pint of water apply cold ,marky
Old 02-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Professional Member

Thanks Pricer.
Now, Marky,...I don't know any chemists LOL... Where the heck do I find this stuff? I think I've been saved. My client found someone who does decorative metal work. I found a roll of brass shim stock though and am interested in this "antique recipe". If I go searching for this stuff I won't have someone from Department of Homeland Security knocking on my door will I? Thanks Much Marky.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:54 PM

Hello fellow tinners,
I've been lurking for a little while and I would like to introduce me. I'm an old timer from Las Vegas, and I've been looking for a forum that glorifies the old ways. I haven't read all the posts, but the ones I have read are extremely informative and interesting. As for your question about discoloring brass, I've known of old timers doing copper another way. I don't know if it will work on brass, but I don't see why not. It's very caustic, but if the client never knows, he can't have a problem with it. PM me and I'll tell you how.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:05 PM
ME

Welcome to the shop...enjoy! and please feel free to share your method here on the forums so all can learn

Take Care and stop by often...

www.shopRPMachine.com

Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Professional Member

Most chemical retailers will stock these chemicals or tell yoou of something similar ,either that or go to your local college if they have a jewelery teacher they may give you the small amounts needed.marky
Old 03-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Professional Member

Iwas just looking at some of the recipes i have and probably some of the chemicals have been taken out of general use ,no one really cared during the early part of the last century ,names may have been changed [to protect the innocent],a chemist friend is putting them into modern names for me as soon as i get the info i will let you all know .aw ra best Marky
Old 03-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Professional Member

That would be great. I'll keep an eye out for them. Thanks. I haven't had a chance to contact any chemistry professors at the local colleges.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:14 PM

There are several commercial chemicals that will give you just about any patina you want.

Jax Chemical Co. 718-347-0057
Sur-Fin Chemical Corp. 800-282-3533
www.birchwoodcasey.com

The secret to success with patinas is a good matte finish to start. I use glass bead blasting.

A PS for Old Timer; there is another forum that's a little "crustier".
http://www.e-tinsnips.com/cmps_index.php[/code]